For the more information about water resources in the National Park Service, please visit http://www.nature.nps.gov/water/.


Buck Island Reef National Monument

A benthic habitat map was developed for approximately 74.3 km2 or 98% of the Buck Island Reef National Monument using a combination of semi-automated and manual classification methods. The remaining 2% was not mapped due to lack of imagery in the western part of the Monument at depths ranging from 1,000 to 1,400 meters. Habitats were interpreted from orthophotographs, LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) imagery and four different types of MBES (Multibeam Echosounder) imagery. In total, 198 unique combinations of habitat classes describing the geography, geology and biology of the seafloor were identified from the three types of imagery listed above.

The final deliverables for this project, including the benthic habitat maps, source imagery and in situ field data, are available to the public on a NOAA Biogeography Branch website and through an interactive, web-based map application. They can also be accessed via the NPS Integrated Resource Management Applications Portal. The final report can be downloaded directly from the link below.

Report

Benthic Habitats of Buck Island Reef National Monument (PDF 19MB)

Last Updated: May 07, 2012