For the more information about the geologic resources of the National Park Service, please visit http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/.
Publications & Webinars
This section has links to various reports, brochures, newsletters, webinars, and webcams that the National Park Service publishes that are related to coastal geology. Additional material is available on the internal website for park personnel.
- Inventory of Coastal Engineering Projects in National Parks
- Vulnerability of National Park Service Beaches to Inundation During a Direct Hurricane Landfall (Fire Island NS, Cape Lookout NS, and Cumberland Island NS)
- Coastal Hazard Analysis Report for Pu'ukohola Heiau National Historic Site and Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park (PDF - 5.1MB)
- Potomac River Shoreline Erosion Vulnerability in George Washington Birthplace National Monument (PDF - 5.5MB)
- Coastal Vulnerability Assessment of National Park Units to Sea Level Rise
- National Park Geologic Resource Inventory Reports and Geologic Maps
- NPS Coastal Geology Group 2010 Accomplishments (PDF - 603KB)
- Park Coastal Geology: Vol. 2, No 1 Winter 2003: Screen resolution (PDF - 252KB) | Print resolution (PDF - 4.1MB)
- Park Coastal Geology: Vol. 1, No 1 Fall/Winter 2002: Screen resolution (PDF - 400KB) | Print resolution (PDF - 3.3MB)
- 2011-07-20 Rapid Erosion of a Frozen Arctic Coast: Dominance of Thermal Processes and their Likely Acceleration Along Alaska's Beaufort Sea (begin viewing at 26 min .wmv 154MB). A short time lapse movie of Arcitic coastal erosion is also available here.
- Multi-Scale Coastal Change Analyses in U.S. National Parks: Regional Trends and Local Processes, June 1, 2011 (Windows Media File - 47MB)
- Role of a National Park Service Coastal Geologist in the Deep Water Horizon Oil Spill Response and Recovery, February 28, 2011 (begin viewing at 6:30 Windows Media File - 47MB)
- Response and Recovery of National Seashores to Hurricanes and Tropical Storms - Implications for Sea Level Rise, February 23, 2011 (Windows Media File - 52MB)
- September 2009 Tsunami Impacts at National Park of American Samoa and Surrounding Areas, February 24, 2011 (Windows Media File - 166MB)
- Crown Jewels of North Carolina's Barrier Islands: Cape Lookout NS - A Diamond in the Rough and Cape Hatteras NS - A Flawed Diamond, December 21, 2009 (Windows Media File - 82MB)
- Climate Change, Sea Level Rise, and Storms - A Vision for the Future of North Carolina's Coastal System, December 21, 2009 (Windows Media File - 96MB)
Coastal Park Webcams
Last Updated: July 26, 2011