For more information about National Park Service air resources, please visit http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/.
Air Quality at Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
What’s in the Air?
Most visitors expect clean air and good visibility in national parks. While Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (NP), Hawai'i, enjoys great air quality relative to other parks, the Kilauea Volcano and other volcanic features at the park emit noxious gases that can harm human and ecosystem health. In addition to these natural emissions, there are local human-caused air pollution sources that can degrade air quality, including urban and industrial areas on Oahu and Maui Islands. These airborne pollutants can harm the park's natural and scenic resources such as soils, surface waters, vegetation, and visibility.
How is air pollution affecting Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park?
- Volcanic activity emits harmful levels of sulfur dioxide, aggravating respiratory ailments and damaging crops. more »
- Fine particles of air pollution (including volcanic gases) often cause haze (“vog”) in the park, affecting how well and how far visitors can see vistas and landmarks. more »
- Ozone concentrations are relatively low and unlikely to affect native plants. more »
What is the National Park Service doing about air pollution at the park?
- Monitoring fine particles, haze, and current conditions of sulfur dioxide to assess status and trends.
- Evaluating the impacts of volcanic emissions on park ecosystems. more »
- Working with federal, state, and local agencies, industry, and public interest groups to develop strategies to reduce air pollution and protect and restore park resources. The NPS also reviews plans for development that may increase air pollution in national parks. more »
- Reducing emissions by encouraging visitors to use park shuttle buses and using renewable energy. more »
Pollutants including nitrogen, sulfur, ozone, and fine particles affect resources such as scenic vistas and visitor health. Find out how on our Hawai'i Volcanoes NP Air Pollution Impacts web page.
Studies and monitoring help the NPS understand the environmental impacts of air pollution. Access air quality data and see what is happening with Studies and Monitoring at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park NP.
Last Updated: February 03, 2016